Last Updated on October 2, 2023 by Kyle
If you have suffered an injury or undergone surgery requiring crutches, you may wonder where to buy them. Crutches are essential mobility aids that help you move around while your injury heals. They come in different types, sizes, and materials and can be purchased from various sources. Knowing where to buy crutches can save you time and money and ensure you get the right ones for your needs.
One of the most popular places to buy crutches is online. Online retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, and CVS offer a wide selection of crutches at competitive prices. You can browse different brands, styles, and sizes, read customer reviews, and compare prices and features. Online shopping is convenient, fast, and secure, and you can have your crutches delivered to your doorstep in a matter of days.
You can visit your local medical supply store, pharmacy, or hospital to buy crutches in person. These stores usually have a range of crutches in stock, and you can try them out and get expert advice from the staff. You can also rent crutches from some stores, which is a good option if you only need them temporarily. However, remember that buying crutches in person may be more expensive than buying them online, and you may have to deal with parking, crowds, and limited store hours.
We hope you love the products we recommend! If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Table of Contents
Types of Crutches
Crutches are mobility aids that help individuals with injuries or disabilities move around. There are three primary types of crutches:
- Underarm crutches: These are the most common type of crutches. They have a padded top that fits under your arm below your armpit, a straight frame, and a handgrip.
- Forearm crutches: These crutches are also known as elbow crutches. They have a cuff that fits around your forearm, a straight frame, and a handgrip.
- Knee scooters: These are a type of crutch with wheels. They have a padded seat for your knee, handlebars for steering, and wheels to help you move around.
Each type of crutch has its own benefits and drawbacks. The right kind for you will depend on why you need the crutches, your upper body strength, and what your doctor or physical therapist recommends.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Crutches
When buying crutches, there are a few factors to consider to ensure that you get the right fit and type for your needs. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Height: Choosing crutches that are the right height for your body is important. The top of the crutch should be about 1.5-2 inches below your armpit, and the handgrip should be at hip level.
- Type: There are different crutches, including underarm, forearm, and platform crutches. Each type has its pros and cons, so it’s essential to choose the type that is best for your needs.
- Weight: If you are using crutches for an extended period, you may want to consider lightweight options to reduce strain on your arms and shoulders.
- Comfort: Look for crutches with comfortable handgrips and padding to reduce discomfort and prevent chafing.
- Cost: Crutches can range from under $20 to over $100, so it’s essential to consider your budget when choosing a pair.
Considering these factors, you can choose the right crutches for your needs and ensure a safe and comfortable recovery.
Where to Buy Crutches
When it comes to purchasing crutches, there are several options available. Here are some of the most popular places to buy crutches:
- Amazon: Amazon offers various crutches, including underarm crutches, forearm crutches, and platform crutches. You can also find accessories such as crutch pads and bags.
- Walmart: Walmart has a selection of crutches, including adjustable and forearm crutches. You can also find accessories such as crutch tips and pads.
- Walgreens: Walgreens offers a variety of crutches, including underarm crutches, forearm crutches, and platform crutches. You can also find accessories such as crutch pads and tips.
- Complete Care Shop: Complete Care Shop has a wide range of crutches, including adjustable, comfortable grip and heavy-duty crutches. You can also find accessories such as crutch bags and tips.
It’s important to note that you may also be able to find crutches at your local medical supply store or pharmacy. Additionally, if you have insurance, your provider may cover the crutches cost. Be sure to check with your insurance company before making a purchase.
Crutches are an essential mobility aid for people recovering from injuries or surgeries. They are available at various physical and online stores, including pharmacies, medical supply stores, and e-commerce websites.
When purchasing crutches, it is essential to consider factors such as height, weight, and comfort. You should also ensure the crutches are properly fitted to avoid accidents and injuries.
The best places to buy crutches include CVS Pharmacy, Medline, and Amazon. These stores offer a wide range of crutches, including forearm crutches, underarm crutches, and platform crutches. You can also find crutches with additional features, such as adjustable heights and rotating handgrips.