Table of Contents
Massaging Your Way Out of Foot Pain
Do your feet hurt? Have you been standing or working on your feet all day long? I bet your feet could use a little TLC. You might think about massaging your way out of foot pain.
Foot pain can come in many forms, plantar fasciitis, heel pain, achilles tendon pain, the list goes on and on. The good thing is there are all kinds of treatments that can be used to relieve foot pain. One of those methods is a foot massage. Foot massage has many benefits.
Benefits of Foot Massage
- A foot massage increases the circulation in your feet
- Helps with relaxation and pain relief
- Reflexology therapy helps correct imbalances in the body by stimulating specific areas of your feet.
- Eases tension all over your body, especially your legs and lower back.
- Foot massages can also help to treat issues like headaches, insomnia, and stress.
- Also gives you a chance to check out your feet to see if you have other foot issues like blisters, bunions, corns, or toenail problems
There are many different types of foot massage as well.
Types of Foot Massage
As I said earlier there are many types of foot massage. Below are 12 different techniques used in foot massage.
- Warmup Twists – are used as a unique way to start the foot massage.
- Arch rubs – arch rubs are used to massage the underside of the foot.
- Toe Bends – Toe bends are used to increase flexibility in the foot.
- Foot Spread – Using foot spreads help the foot reach its natural width.
- Heel Squeeze – These squeezes help relieve tension at the back of the foot.
- Knuckle and Fist – This is an additional technique used to massage the bottom of the foot.
- Thumb Work – Thumb work is another foot massage technique used on the bottom of the foot.
- Pressure Points – Pressing points on the instep is another relaxing foot massage technique.
- Achilles Massage – Achilles massage helps relieve pressure on the Achilles tendon
- Top and Side Circles – A simple technique top and side of the feet are massaged in circles
- Toe Massage – Used to relieve tension and cramps in the toes.
- Finishing Strokes – These are the massage techniques used a the end of the massage.
To learn more about these different techniques and how to actually perform these techniques check out foot massage techniques and benefits.
Basic Foot Massage Tips
There is no single way to carry out a foot massage. People usually prefer different foot massage techniques. You may want to try many techniques and learn what feels good for you.
Before getting started with your foot massage:
- soak the feet in warm water
- pat the feet dry with a towel
- rest the feet on the towel
- spread massage oil over the foot, up to the ankle
Here are some general foot massage tips to use as a guide:
- Pay attention to parts of your foot that feel sore: Work on sore areas for longer, with as much or as little pressure as feels comfortable.
- Pay attention to parts of the massage that feel good: If you enjoy your massage you are more likely to do it again.
- Avoid hurting your thumbs: Do not use so much pressure when doing your massage that your thumbs start to hurt. Use your body weight, not muscles in thumbs, to apply pressure.
- Avoid pressure that is to light. If you don’t apply enough pressure you will not get the full effect of the massage.
- Focus on one foot at a time. It is important to focus on only one foot at a time so that you get the most benefit.
Check out the video below on how to preform a basic massage:
Foot massage vs. reflexology
Most people think that reflexology is just another word for a foot massage. Reflexology is an alternative therapy that involves putting pressure on specific parts of the foot. It is not the same as a regular foot massage.
People who sing the praises of Reflexology believe that putting pressure on the foot can heal unrelated problems elsewhere in the body. Even if scientific evidence does not support reflexology, the practice can be relaxing, as it is a form of foot massage.
We hope you love the products we recommend! If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Foot Massage – Tools of the Trade
To perform a massage, specifically one that will help relieve pain, you might want to go beyond the manual hands-on massage methods. There are many tools that can help with foot massages such as massage rollers and electric massagers. Below are two great examples that help with plantar fasciitis.
If your looking for a more manual roller type massager check out:
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B01F1L6YDO” associate-id=”helpmyfootpai-20″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”false” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”4″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”✔DEEP TISSUE: Nubs & grooves on roller kneads, stimulates & relaxes soft feet tissue, hands & the body~~~✔FOOT THERAPY: Relieves aches & soreness in the foot arch due to Plantar Fasciitis, tired feet & ailments such as Diabetic Neuropathy & other foot issues due to diabetes~~~✔EASY TO USE: Use it for both feet at a time! Or hold it and use it as an acupressure massager for the rest of the body. Light, portable, & can be used on any flat surface” btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”View on Amazon” alignment=”aligncenter” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-reviews=”1″ hide-price=”1″ hide-button=”0″ width=”750″]TheraFlow Foot Massager Roller[/amalinkspro]
If you are looking for something completely hands-free check out:
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B07JKS3HXS” associate-id=”helpmyfootpai-20″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”false” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”4″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”Massage the feet, relax the whole body – RENPHO foot massager, equipped with rotation ball, rolling stick, heating and air compression offers a deep kneading Shiatsu foot massage. Relieve foot pain from plantar fasciitis, improve blood flow, reduce physical exhaustion through foot nerve reflex, and promote better sleep.~~~Like a professional foot massage – the ergonomic design provides a comprehensive and comfortable massage. 3 kneading intensities and 3 air pressure levels can be adjusted to personal preference. The soothing heat function can be controlled independently.~~~Simple, hygienic, healthy – The foot massager machine not only with its own touch panel which can be easily controlled by the feet and also equipped with a remote control. Removable washable cloth in the foot chambers helps keep a clean and healthy environment.~~~A great gift – Everybody needs a daily foot massage. Get it for yourself or your friend who is suffering from feet pain. Using the foot massager 30 minutes daily improves the health of the body. It can fit up to men size 12.” btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”View on Amazon” alignment=”aligncenter” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-reviews=”0″ hide-price=”1″ hide-button=”0″ width=”750″]RENPHO Electric Foot Massager Machine with Remote Control[/amalinkspro]
Can you Massage Your Way Out of Foot Pain?
I believe the answer is yes you can. A foot massage is a great way to relieve pain, increase circulation, and ease stress. Use one of the many massage techniques listed above, I think it would be easy to massage away those pains you might be experiencing.
If you are having plantar fasciitis pain, it is important to see a doctor for a checkup. You deserve to feel better and get back to your day-to-day activities. With the right care and treatment plan, you will be back on health feet in no time.
- If you want more information on plantar fasciitis, check out What Helps Plantar Fasciitis
- Have you ever used KT Tape? Read KT Tape for Plantar Fasciitis Review. I have personally used KT Tape to help with my own plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis.
- As always, remember RICE it helps.